Media Arabic, Trials, Part 3
- Section 7 pp. 166-168: Continue evaluating the objectivity of a news source by comparing reports from different sources. Read the second set of excerpts and compare them to each other by answering the questions.
- Memorize the vocabulary from pp. 87-90 of the Kendall book.
- Prepare a brief news report to present orally in your conversation session using the vocabulary from pp. 87-90 in the Kendall book.
- Complete the GLOSS online language lesson "Labor market issues in Saudi Arabia" (http://gloss.dliflc.edu/products/gloss/ad_soc204/default.html) to develop your listening skills.
- Complete the GLOSS online language lesson "Oil Economics" (http://gloss.dliflc.edu/products/gloss/ad_ecn202/default.html) to develop your listening skills.
- Prepare to discuss the audio news segments from both GLOSS lessons in your conversation session; think about how they relate to events you have been reading about in the news.
- Prepare to relate one of the top news stories of the week in your conversation session.
- Read the article assigned by your mentor, and prepare to discuss your opinion on the article in your conversation session.
- Write a brief commentary (4 paragraphs) on the article.
Homework to Hand in
- Section 7, questions 1-5, pp. 167-168
- Commentary on the assigned article (4 paragraphs)
- I have completed Part 3 of "Trials," pp. 166-168.
- I have practiced evaluating the objectivity of a news source by comparing reports from different sources.
- I have memorized the vocabulary from the Kendall book, pp. 87-90.
- I am able to prepare and present a news report orally.
- I have exercised my listening skills by completing a series of exercises on two audio reports and discussing them in Arabic with my conversation partners.
- I consistently skim the top news stories in Arabic and I can relate a news story orally.
- I have read an article from an Arabic newspaper, and I am able to discuss it in Arabic.
- I am able to express my opinion on a news article in a written commentary.
Conversation Session Partner Guide
- Have each of the students relate one of the top news stories of the week.
- Have the students present their oral news report using the vocabulary from the Kendall book, pp. 87-90.
- Engage the students in a discussion about the two GLOSS online language lessons: "Labor market issues in Saudi Arabia" (http://gloss.dliflc.edu/products/gloss/ad_soc204/default.html) and "Oil Economics" (http://gloss.dliflc.edu/products/gloss/ad_ecn202/default.html). Have them discuss these news reports in relation to events they have been reading about in the news.
- Have the students summarize the main points of the article you assigned them, and then have each of them share the points of the written commentary he or she has prepared.