Media Arabic, Elections, Part 2
- Section 5 pp. 81-85: Refine your understanding of the new vocabulary words by learning their precise use according to category and context.
- Starting with exercises 3 and 4, categorize the vocabulary words in the provided charts, and then use the appropriate word to complete each sentence in the exercises.
- Make pairs between the nouns and the verbs, and then use the pairs to fill in the blanks in exercise 5.
- Use the correct prepositions to complete the paragraphs in exercise 6.
- Drawing from all the new vocabulary, complete the paragraphs in exercise 7.
- Section 6 pp. 86-88: Using the skimming techniques mentioned, speed read the excerpts and write a title for each one.
- Section 7 pp. 89-90: Practice evaluating how objective a news report is by comparing reports from two sources. Read the reports, title them, and then compare them to each other by answering questions 1 and 2.
- Memorize the vocabulary from pp. 47-50 of the Kendall book.
- Prepare a paragraph-long news report to present orally in your conversation session using the vocabulary from pp. 47-50 in the Kendall book.
- Prepare to relate the top three headlines of the week in your conversation session.
- Listen to the news segment (5 minutes) assigned by your mentor, and prepare to report on and discuss what you hear.
Homework to Hand in
- Section 5, exercises 3-7, pp. 81-84
- Section 7, questions 1-2, p. 90
- I have completed Part 2 of "Elections," pp. 81-90.
- I have learned the precise usage of the vocabulary words from "Elections" and I have practiced using them in sentences and paragraphs.
- I have practiced speed reading news excerpts.
- I have practiced evaluating how objective the information in a news report is by comparing reports from two different sources.
- I have memorized the vocabulary from the Kendall book, pp. 47-50.
- I am able to prepare and deliver an oral news report using the new vocabulary I have learned.
- I consistently skim Arabic newspapers and can determine and relate the most important headlines.
- I have practiced listening to a news report in Arabic for comprehension.
Conversation Session Partner Guide
- Have the students report the top three headlines of the week.
- Have the students present their paragraph-long news reports using the vocabulary from the Kendall book, pp. 47-50.
- Have the students report on the oral news segment (5 minutes) you assigned them.
- Engage the students in a discussion on the event covered in the oral news segment and on the larger issues involved.