Media Arabic, Conflicts and Terrorism, Part 1
- Section 2 pp. 95-103:
- Practice finding the orienting information from news excerpts concerning conflicts on pp. 95-98. Learn the new vocabulary words.
- Practice finding the orienting information from news excerpts concerning terrorism on pp. 99-103. Learn the new vocabulary words.
- Section 3 pp. 104-105: Learn about how the information is organized in a news report. Learn the words and expressions signaling cause and effect relating to conflicts and terrorism.
- Section 4 pp. 106-114:
- Begin by giving titles to each of the article excerpts, and then write the incident and victims reported in each excerpt.
- Learn to link the information between articles by replying to questions 1 and 2 after rereading the excerpts.
- Learn to integrate and retain the information you read by connecting it to your own background knowledge and interests by responding to questions 3 and 4.
- Learn to assess the bias of a news report from the title by reading the titles listed and replying to questions 1 through 3, and again for questions 4-6.
- Learn how to discern when a news report is heavily biased or slanted by comparing the two articles about the same news event. Fill in the chart regarding the information each article presents, and then respond to the questions.
- Memorize the vocabulary from pp. 55-59 of the Kendall Media Arabic vocabulary book.
- Prepare one or two news reports using the vocabulary from pp. 55-59 in the Kendall book which you will give orally in your conversation session.
- Choose three major Arabic newspapers to read daily online. Read the top stories every day, and prepare to relate one of the top news stories of the week in your conversation session and to discuss others.
Homework to Hand in
- Section 4, questions 3-4, pp. 108-109
- Section 4, questions 4-6, pp. 111-112
- Section 4, questions 1-3, p. 114
- I have completed Part 1 of "Conflicts and Terrorism," pp. 95-114.
- I have practiced finding the orienting information in an article relating to conflicts and terrorism.
- I can understand and connect article excerpts related to conflicts and terrorism.
- I have practiced assessing the bias of a news report from its title.
- I have practiced discerning when a news report is heavily slanted or biased.
- I have memorized the vocabulary from the Kendall book, pp. 55-59.
- I have skimmed the top news stories in Arabic on a daily basis and I can relate a news story orally.
- I am able to write and orally deliver news reports.
- I can discuss news stories with others in Arabic.
Conversation Session Partner Guide
- Have each of the students relate one of the top news stories of the week .
- Engage the students in a discussion about some of the week's top news stories.
- Have the students present their oral news reports using the new vocabulary from the Kendall book, pp. 55-59.
- Have the students watch a news segment, ask them questions to test their comprehension, showing them the segment again if helpful.