Media Arabic, Trials, Part 1
- Section 2 pp. 141-146:
- Practice finding the orienting information in news excerpts concerning trials on pp. 141-143. Learn the new vocabulary words.
- Practice finding the orienting information in news excerpts concerning trials on pp. 144-146. Learn the new vocabulary words.
- Section 3 pp. 147-149: Learn how the information in news reports relating to arrests and trials is usually organized. Learn how passive and active verbs are usually used in these types of news reports.
- Section 4 pp. 150-153:
- Read the article excerpts, paying attention to which verbs are in the passive voice, and give a title to each excerpt. Then list the verbs in the passive voice found in each article.
- Reread the excerpts to reply to questions 1 and 2.
- Integrate the information in the articles by relating it to your own interests by responding to questions 3 and 4.
- Section 5 pp. 155-156: Refine your understanding of the new vocabulary words by learning their precise use according to category and context.
- Exercise 3: Categorize the verbs and expressions you have learned according to which noun they are used with, and then use the words to complete each sentence.
- Exercise 4: Make pairs between the nouns and the verbs, and then use the pairs to fill in the blanks.
- Memorize the vocabulary from pp. 81-85 of the Kendall book.
- Write two paragraph-long news reports using the vocabulary from pp. 81-85 in the Kendall book.
- Prepare to relate one of the top news stories of the week in your conversation session.
- Listen to the news story assigned by your mentor, and prepare to contribute your point of view to a discussion in your conversation session.
Homework to Hand in
- Section 4, questions 3-4, p. 153
- Section 5, questions 3-4, pp. 155-156
- Two news reports using vocabulary on pp. 81-85 of the Kendall book
- I have completed Part 1 of "Trials," pp. 141-156.
- I have practiced finding the orienting information in an article about a trial.
- I understand how the parts of a news story related to trials are organized.
- I can understand and engage personally with an article about a trial.
- I have learned the precise usage of the vocabulary words from "Trials" and I have practiced using them in sentences.
- I have memorized the vocabulary from the Kendall book, pp. 81-85.
- I have skimmed the top news stories in Arabic on a daily basis and I can relate a news story orally.
- I can understand and discuss an audio news report in Arabic.
Conversation Session Partner Guide
- Have each of the students relate one of the top news stories of the week.
- Have the students summarize the oral news story which you assigned them.
- Engage the students in a discussion about the news story, and the larger issues at stake in the event. Encourage the students to incorporate the new vocabulary, in particular the vocabulary from the Kendall book, pp. 81-85.
- Have the students watch a news segment, ask them questions to test their comprehension, showing them the segment again if helpful.