Media Arabic, Trials, Part 2
- Section 5 pp. 157-160: Refine your understanding of the new vocabulary words by learning their precise use according to category and context.
- Exercise 5: Use the correct prepositions to complete the paragraphs.
- Exercise 6: Complete the paragraphs drawing from all the new vocabulary.
- Exercise 7: Fit the punishment to the crime, and then write a sentence justifying each assessment.
- Exercise 8: Put the sentences of a news article in the correct order.
- Exercise 9: Write the rest of the news article, discussing the motivation and the judgment of the given crime.
- Section 6 pp. 162-163: Read the tips for speed reading, and then skim the excerpts and write a title for each one.
- Section 7 pp. 165-166: Practice evaluating the objectivity of a news source by comparing reports from two different sources on the same news event.
- Memorize the vocabulary from pp. 75-79 of the Kendall book.
- Write two paragraph-long news reports using the vocabulary from pp. 75-79 in the Kendall book.
- Prepare to relate one of the top news stories of the week in your conversation session.
- Listen to the news story (5 minutes) assigned by your mentor, and prepare to contribute your point of view to a discussion in your conversation session.
- Read the article assigned by your mentor, and prepare notes for a brief commentary which you will give as an oral presentation (5 minutes) in your conversation session.
Homework to Hand in
- Section 5, exercises 6-9, pp. 157-160
- Section 7, questions 1 and 2, p. 166
- Short news reports using vocabulary on pp. 75-79 of the Kendall book
- I have completed Part 2 of "Trials," pp. 157-166.
- I have learned the precise usage of the vocabulary words from "Trials" and I have practiced using them in paragraphs.
- I have practiced skimming news excerpts.
- I have practiced evaluating the objectivity of a news source by comparing reports from different sources.
- I have memorized the vocabulary from the Kendall book, pp. 75-79.
- I am able to write news reports using the new vocabulary I have learned.
- I consistently skim the top news stories in Arabic and I can relate a news story orally.
- I can understand and discuss an audio news report in Arabic.
- I have read an article from an Arabic newspaper, and I am able to present an oral commentary in Arabic to my conversation partners.
Conversation Session Partner Guide
- Have each of the students relate one of the top news stories of the week.
- Have the students summarize the oral news story (5 minutes) which you assigned them, and then engage them in a discussion about it. Each student should contribute his or her point of view.
- Engage the students in a discussion on the news article you assigned to them.
- Have the students give their oral commentaries (5 minutes) on the news article you assigned to them.