Media Arabic, Meetings and Conferences, Part 2
- Section 5 pp. 23-27: Refine your understanding of the new vocabulary words by learning their precise use according to category and context.
- Starting with exercises 3 and 4, categorize the vocabulary words in the provided charts, and then use the appropriate word to complete each sentence in the exercises.
- Make pairs between the nouns and the verbs, and then use the pairs to fill in the blanks in exercise 5.
- Use the correct prepositions to complete the paragraphs in exercise 6.
- Drawing from all the new vocabulary, complete the paragraphs in exercise 7.
- Translate the English vocabulary into Arabic, and then use these words to complete the report in exercise 8.
- Section 6 pp. 30-32: Read the hints for successful speed reading, and then title the five excerpts after skimming each one for essential information.
- Section 7 pp. 33-34: Learn to discern the bias of a news report by distinguishing the author's attitude and focus and paying attention to loaded language. Read the excerpts and compare them to each other by answering questions 1 through 3.
- Memorize the vocabulary from pp. 10-14 of the Kendall book.
- Write two short news reports using the vocabulary from pp. 10-14 in the Kendall book.
- Prepare to relate the top three headlines of the week in your conversation session.
- Listen to the news segment (2-3 min) assigned by your mentor, and prepare to report on what you hear.
Homework to Hand in
- Section 5, exercises 3-8, pp. 23-27
- Section 7, questions 1-3, pp. 33-34
- Short news reports using vocabulary on pp. 10-14 of the Kendall book
- I have completed Part 2 of "Meetings and Conferences," pp. 23-34.
- I have learned the precise usage of the vocabulary words from "Meetings and Conferences" and I have practiced using them in sentences and paragraphs.
- I have practiced speed reading news excerpts to glean essential information.
- I have learned ways to discern the author's bias and explore his or her particular approach and attitude.
- I have memorized the vocabulary from the Kendall book, pp. 10-14.
- I am able to write news reports using the new vocabulary I have learned.
- I consistently skim Arabic newspapers and can determine and relate the most important headlines.
- I have practiced listening to a news report in Arabic for comprehension.
Conversation Session Partner Guide
- Have the students report the top three headlines of the week.
- Have the students report on the oral news segment (2-3 minutes) which they were assigned for the week. Encourage the students to incorporate the new vocabulary, in particular the vocabulary from the Kendall book, pp. 10-14.
- Engage the students in a discussion on a recent major news event. Encourage the students to incorporate the new vocabulary, in particular the vocabulary from the Kendall book, pp. 10-14.