Media Arabic, Conflicts and Terrorism, Part 2
- Section 5 pp. 116-120: Refine your understanding of the new vocabulary words by learning their precise use according to category and context.
- Exercise 3: Categorize the verbs you have learned according to which noun they are used with, and then use the words to complete each sentence.
- Exercise 4: Fill in the five slots in the chart with the verbs that have similar meanings.
- Exercise 5: Make pairs between the nouns and the verbs, and then use the pairs to fill in the blanks.
- Exercise 6: Use the correct prepositions to complete the paragraphs.
- Exercise 7: Complete the paragraphs drawing from all the new vocabulary.
- Section 6 pp. 122-124: Skim the excerpts and write a title for each one.
- Section 7 pp. 125-126: Practice evaluating the objectivity of a news source by comparing reports from two different sources on the same news event.
- Memorize the vocabulary from pp. 60-64 of the Kendall book.
- Write two paragraph-long news reports using the vocabulary from pp. 60-64 in the Kendall book.
- Prepare to relate one of the top news stories of the week in your conversation session.
- Read the news article assigned by your mentor and prepare to contribute your point of view in your conversation session.
Homework to Hand in
- Section 5, exercises 3, 5, and 7, pp. 116-120
- Section 7, questions 1-5, p. 126
- Short news reports using vocabulary on pp. 60-64 of the Kendall book
- I have completed Part 2 of "Conflicts and Terrorism", pp. 116-126.
- I have learned the precise usage of the vocabulary words from "Conflicts and Terrorism" and I have practiced using them in sentences and paragraphs.
- I have practiced skimming news excerpts.
- I have practiced evaluating the objectivity of a news source by comparing reports from different sources.
- I have memorized the vocabulary from the Kendall book, pp. 60-64.
- I am able to write news reports using the new vocabulary I have learned.
- I consistently skim the top news stories in Arabic and I can relate a news story orally.
- I have read an article from an Arabic newspaper, and I am able to express my point of view on the article in a discussion in Arabic.
Conversation Session Partner Guide
- Have each of the students relate one of the top news stories of the week.
- Have the students summarize the points of the news article you assigned to them.
- Engage the students in a discussion of the news article, making sure each student contributes a point of view.
- Have the students watch a news segment, ask them questions to test their comprehension, showing them the segment again if helpful.