The LangMedia site is currently being updated. This resource is available for use while the updates are happening, but does not follow the normal path through the LangMedia pages. You can use the back button to return to the previous page at any time. If you are looking for other LangMedia resources, use the navigation link above, entitled "Home", to access the main page of the site.
Beginning Turkmen Guide 1
- Familiarity with the book and web site
- Ability to pronounce sounds in Turkmen
- Familiarity with and memorization of the alphabet
- Memorization of vocabulary in Topic 1, Competency 1
- Understanding of the material in Topic 1, Competency 1
- Memorization of basic initial greetings, identification and introduction of yourself
- Review the dialogue in Topic 1, Competency 1
- Memorization of core vocabulary lists of Numbers (0-10) and the Days of the Week
- Understanding of the infinitive forms of verbs
- Listen to the pronunciation of sounds in Turkmen.
- Read and listen to the vocabulary in Topic 1, Competency 1.
- Read and listen to the dialogue in Topic 1, Competency 1.
- Listen to and study core vocabulary lists of Counting Numbers (0-10) and Days of the Week.
- Listen to the pronunciation of sounds in Turkmen, and repeat the pronunciation until you can say the words without listening to the audio.
- Memorize the Turkmen alphabet (a good website for Turkmen alphabet).
- Read, listen to, repeat and memorize the vocabulary in Competency 1.
- Identify familiar vocabulary words, and note how they are used
- Memorize the useful phrases and practice creating new sentences with the vocabulary you have learned.
- Read and listen to the dialogue in Topic 1, Competency 1 .
- Memorize the dialogue.
- Listen to the additional dialogue Days of the Week (see transcript and translation).
- Memorize the dialogue.
- Turkmenistan in the Eyes of Americans:
- Turkmen Renkler
Turkmen Colors contain images of Turkmenistan and its people.
Conversation Session Preparation
- Practice pronunciation so that you can illustrate your knowledge of pronunciation.
- Be ready to identify new vocabulary.
- Be prepared to role play various greeting situations created by your conversation partner.
- I am familiar with the Turkmen textbook and web site.
- I am comfortable pronuncing sounds in Turkmen.
- I am familiar with and have memorized the alphabet.
- I have memorized the vocabulary in Topic 1, Competency 1.
- I understand the material in Topic 1, Competency 1.
- I can perform basic initial greetings, identification and introduction of myself.
- I have reviewed the dialogue in Topic 1, Competency 1.
- I understand the infinitive forms of verbs and know how to use them.
- I have memorized the core vocabulary lists of Counting Numbers (0-10) and Days of the Week.
- Submit a self-assessment report as required by your course syllabus or program.
© 2006 Five College Center for the Study of World Languages and Five Colleges, Incorporated.
Five Colleges, Incorporated is the consortium of Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, Smith College and the University of Massachusetts at Amherst.